Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Homemade Gifts

I had a garden this year and I have been enjoying the arts of preserving and making things from scratch on a whole new level.

I decided I could make many of my Christmas gifts this year!

The first thing I made is some tangerine and Meyer lemon marmalade. Here's the recipe:

Marmalade

Ingredients

18-20 tangerines
5-7 Meyer lemons
and 4 cups sugar
6 cups water

Thinly slice tangerines and Meyer lemons. I cut off the ends then slice them in half and cut out the seeds (they are usually along the middle and I dry them to plant them but you don't have to. I have a passion for citrus and grow two lemon trees and two lime trees on my window sill.)

I put the fruit in with the water on high and once they are boiling I add the sugar.

I turn the heat down to medium high and let simmer for another half hour stirring often to make sure that it doesn't stick until the marmalade darkens and thickens a little.

Then it's time to put it in jars! In one afternoon you have about 12 jars of jam to give to friends and family.

Doris and Jilly Cook

Next week Granola!

No comments:

Post a Comment