Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Gifts PART II

The second thing I made was  Granola! 







I know that granola is not a new discovery but it was exciting this year for me to find out how easy it can be to make it.


I'm always looking for ways to cut costs by getting at the source of how it's made.

I tried a recipe in the FOOD Everyday this fall and it was a revolution for me.

First of all everyone in our family loves it! and and and...I love the money we save!

I've adjusted the recipe a little and I when I double it we have enough cereal for the week. With these ingredients I can make enough for a month: a bag of large flake oatmeal for $2.00, molasses for $3.00, 2 bags Shredded Coconut for $2.00 and the most expensive ingredient are the Nuts you can use any thing you choose but I like to use Raw Unsalted Almonds $4.00 (they get toasted along with the granola). Total cost $13.00 for approximately 4 boxes of harvest crunch style cereal and you can pronounce EVERYTHING in it. Here's how I make it:



Granola

Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Pecans (roughly chopped)
1/3 cup molasses
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Coarse salt

Add oats, coconut and nuts together and then mix molasses, olive oil, cinnamon and salt once well mixed add to the dry ingredients.










It will look like you can't get all the dry ingredients coated but just get your hands dirty and make sure all the wet ingredients coats the dry. It's easier than it looks!

Put in the oven at 325F for half an hour and let cool completely before storing. 






YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment